[Samba] NTConfig.POL not working for Win 2000 (for XP working fine)?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Fri Nov 18 10:07:16 GMT 2005

Tomasz Chmielewski schrieb:
> I'm just exploring the Profile Editor, described on
> http://www.pcc-services.com/custom_poledit.html - and policies saved to
> NTConfig.pol file and copied to the netlogon share work great for
> Windows XP machines.
>
> However, with Windows 2000, they don't work at all. Winh XP machines -
> policies are applied.
>
> I see in Samba logs that the NTConfig.pol is copied from the server to
> the w2k workstation, but it has no effect.
>
> This Profile Editor is designed for Windows 2000, as it was shipped with
> w2k SP4, so I expected it will work with 2000.
>
> Am I missing something?

I searched the internet, but no clue about the issue :(

In the event log it is as eventid: 1000, source: uservenv, and in the
log itself it says something like (translated from German):

RegLoadKey aborted. Returned value "False Parameter." for C:\Documents
and Settings\Administrator.DOMAIN\prfCA.tmp

prfCA.tmp (and other such tmp files) are the exact copy of the
NTConfig.POL that is saved in the netlogon directory.

I tried creating other NTConfig.POL files (with only basic setting like
IE start site), but this message just shows all the time, and settings
are not applied.

Any clue?

I use Windows 2000 SP4, and Samba 3.0.20.

Windows XP works fine with NTConfig.POL files and the same Samba.

--
Tomek
http://wpkg.org