[Samba] Re: Have to love MS, Was: -> Re: w32time and Samba PDC Domains

Matthew Easton v-vi at trugschluss.org
Mon Nov 14 06:48:40 GMT 2005

On Nov 13, 2005, at 3:33 PM, Michael Lueck wrote:

> Matthew Easton wrote:
>
>> There is a security policy setting you must change.
>> You want to give "Authenticated Users" the right to adjust the time.
>
> Actually I don't want to give that out. The w32time service would
> run as system (aka root) thus have the ability to change the time.
> Since DHCP offers the NTP server hostname, I was just hoping that
> the DHCP client could update / provide that DHCP option, but it
> seems that functionality is not functioning.

This post apparently speaks to your issue, but perhaps not in quite
the way you imagined:
http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2004-October/094283.html

Probably everything that a windows dhcp client can configure is
revealed in the command
	ipconfig /all
ISC-DHCP has a lot of capabilities that are not used by clients.  For
example, DHCP can give out the address of pop and smtp server, but I
know of no dhcp client that will configure mail.