[Samba] LDAP user

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Nov 12 19:15:15 GMT 2005

On Sat, 2005-11-12 at 18:56 +0000, Antony Gelberg wrote:
> This follows on from the previous questions.  I noticed that
> smbldap-tools With lines like
>
> ldap user suffix = ou=Users
>
> in smb.conf, should we change Users to People if that's how our LDAP
> database was set up, or do Users and People generally mean different
> things in LDAP?
----
simple question, simple answer...yes, change it.

complicated answer...it's your DSA and you set it up however you want it
to be set up. It seems logical to me to have the same LDAP account have
both posix and samba attributes and that is what I would do.
Organizational Units in LDAP (ou) are only containers and don't mean
anything to LDAP other than the fact that they are containers for things
like DN's and whether they are named People or Users is entirely at the
administrator's discretion and of little consequence when properly
configured.

Craig

believed to be clean.