[Samba] Migrating same domain

Antony Gelberg antony at wayforth.co.uk
Fri Nov 11 13:16:22 GMT 2005

This weekend, we're replacing a customer's Windows 2003 server with a Samba box. They lost their Windows media and we can't reset the administrator password, so we can't even login to the server to examine it. The best we can do is to boot Knoppix and copy the filesystem onto an external USB drive, to recover their files.  We're not sure how we will recover their Exchange mail yet. The box boots properly about 1 in 20 times.

Given this scenario, are we best off creating a new domain? It would be nice if we could migrate the oild domain so it's transparent to the users. If it's not possible, would it be if we had admin access to the existing Server?

While I'm on the subject, is there any way to ease pain of Exchange -> Maildir migration? Current thinking is boot Windows server, have both Exchange and Maildir configured in Outlook, and drag the folders. What if we can't get the Exchange box to boot?

--
Wayforth - the alternative Blackberry solution.  http://www.wayforth.co.uk