[Samba] samba domain vs linux network security

Zach uid000 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 17:50:49 GMT 2005

what you're talking abo,ut, and what NFS doesn't provide is
authentication.  I.e. making sure you are who you say you are.  I
believe kerberos is commonly used to address this, though I don't know
much about it, other than it can be very challenging to configure.

You are correct that windows domains, with respect to authentication,
are more secure than simple NFS.  I believe this is how it works: when
you authenticate against a windows domain from an authorized machine,
you are presented with a unique token, that, in theory anyway, can't
be forged.  You then present that token to other network assets, such
as  file servers.  Those systems then look at that token to verify
that you are who you say you are.  Then, confident in who you are,
they establish what you're allowed to do, i.e. filesystem permissions,
etc.

NFS by itself trusts that you are who you say you are, and so has no
authentication machanism of its own.  An LDAP directory as an
authentication backend, provides you with an identity, but doesn't
provide you with any thing that can be taken as proof that that
identity was established by a trusted source.