[Samba] samba server as dfs host?

Basil Copeland blcjr2 at gmail.com
Fri May 20 21:44:55 GMT 2005

On 5/20/05, Gerald (Jerry) Carter <jerry at samba.org> wrote:

> the linux cifs fs doesn't support ms-dfs referrals yet.  I think this
> is what you saying is not working for you.  recent smbclient release
> should follow the link ok.

Thanks for the reply.  But it turned out to be something more basic.
At the time, I was logged in a local machine admin account, not a
domain account.  Now I never expected to be authenticated directly,
but I did expect to be prompted for a user name and password.  That
was not the case.  But when I logged in on a domain account, the dfs
took me right where it should have, with no quarrel (or prompting for
a valid user account).  I'm still getting my feet wet with Server
2003, as opposed to 2000 Server domains, so I suspect it was all
something having to do with Server 2003 ADS not liking a referrel from
a non domain user.