[Samba] Horrendously slow transfer speeds in FC3 is driving me crazy!!! Please help...

Michael J. Welch, Ph.D. mjwelchphd at ekgreaders.com
Mon May 16 18:14:52 GMT 2005

For what it is worth, I have a Windows XP Athlon 2600 machine with 1GB RAM and
a 100MBit LAN over CAT5, and a SuSE Linux dual Pentium III 1GHz machine with
1GB RAM running Samba 3.0.10. Actually, a very simple configuration.

I measured my transfer rate from the Linux box to the Windows box by copying a
1.8GB file. The transfer speed was 8.85MB/Sec, or 80% of the 100MBit rating
of the network.

A SCSI to EIDE ATA disk-to-disk transfer on the Linux box of the same file was
16.7MB/Sec.

-- Mike

Michael J. Welch, Ph.D.
mjwelchphd at adelphia.net or mjwelchphd at ekgreaders.com

La perfection est atteinte
non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter,
mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever.
--Antoine de Saint Exupery

(Perfection is achieved
not when there is nothing more to add,
but when there is nothing left to take away.)

Svp, rappelez-vous toujours, un perroquet n'est pas
simplement un animal de compagnie.
C'est un enfant d'un autre monde.
-- Bill Kiesselbach.

(Please, always remember, a parrot is not merely a pet.
It is a child from another world.)