[Samba] Sarbanes-Oxley headaches

John H Terpstra jht at Samba.Org
Mon May 16 14:17:00 GMT 2005

On Monday 16 May 2005 07:50, Stuart Highlander wrote:
> > I gather that OP would be better served by using a tdb or ldap backend.
>
> i am not the original poster, but did ask the question regarding account
> lockout and reset using the smbpasswd backend.
>
> i agree that moving to ldap or tdb would better suit my needs but i do not
> have the test environment nor the time to move and adequately test my
> production environment to one or the other right now.
>
> since i am using the smbpasswd for the foreseeable future, are the account
> lockout and reset features applicable to using the smbpasswd backend?  if
> not, it is ok.  my guess is that they are not, but cannot find
> documentation to verify this.
>
> as for sox, i found a free program that enables window$ boxes to log event
> logs to a remote syslog server, found here:
>
>  http://www.netadmintools.com/art284.html

The advanced Windows account facilities are available only with the tdbsam or
ldapsam backends. It is very easy to migrate to tdbsam. Here are the steps:

1. Edit smb.conf to include this line:
	passdb backend = tdbsam
2. Migrate your smbpasswd file to tdbsam:
	pdbedit -i smbpasswd -e tdbsam

Done.

- John T.