[Samba] Exchange 5.5 on a Samba Domain - Further Information

Ian Clancy clancyian at cel.ie
Thu May 12 09:29:52 GMT 2005

Ian Clancy wrote:

> Hi,
> I recently migrated from an NT4 Domain to a Samba domain with LDAP
> backend. We use Exchange 5.5 on NT4 as our mail/groupware.
> All existing users on the domain appear to be using the Exchange
> Server without any problems. However, when i create new users they
> cannot access their mail box'es from Outlook. The Event log on the
> Exchange Server reports the following error :
>
>> A logon attempt failed because an attempt to look up Windows NT
>> account information failed. Error 1332.
>

> The new user accounts appear to work perfectly otherwise. They can log
> onto the Domain and the Exchange NT4 Serve itself. They can even check
> their mail using squirrelmail webmail which connects to the exchange
> server using IMAP.
> I sniffed the communication between the Exchange server and the Samba
> Domain server with ethereal and the only communication i can see is a
> couple of DCERPC packets.
>
> Anyone had this problem before ?.
> Thanks,

Hi Again,
Some further information to add.
My samba PDC is running RHEL4 with samba version 3.0.10 (red hat rpm)
and OpenLDAP 2.2.13.
Exchange 5.5 SP4 Build 2653.23 on NT4 SP6.
I have created the Domain user accounts with usrmgr.exe and the smbldap
tools with the same results.
The samba domain is working apart from 1 other problem, adding computer
accounts to the domain. When i attempt to add a PC to the domain from
windows only a posix account is created in the directory. Creating the
computer account with the smbldap tools works fine though so i am using
this as a workaround for the moment.
Thanks,
Ian