[Samba] ACLis working with smbclient, not working while accessing share from Windows ?

Buozis, Martynas martynas at ti.com
Wed May 11 18:27:58 GMT 2005

Hello

I have interesting problem, that I can't resolve. I am running Samba
3.0.14a under Solaris 10 x86. Server is domain member, winbind is used
for authentication, ACL's are supported. Problem that I see is, that I
can rename and delete files using smbclient program (connecting
"smbclient \\server\share pass -U user") from same or other Unix box.
When I try do same from Windows box accessing share via Explorer -
rename and files deletion are denied ("Access denied"). While I can edit
files and save changes. Also I can create new file in that directory.
Here is an example of ACL for file and directory :

bash-3.00# getfacl STANDARD.rcp
# file: STANDARD.rcp
# owner: DOMAIN\administrator
# group: DOMAIN\domain users
user::rwx
group::r-x              	#effective:r-x
group:DOMAIN\domain admins:rwx	#effective:rwx
group:DOMAIN\insp:rwx           #effective:rwx
group:DOMAIN\insp adm:rwx       #effective:rwx
mask:rwx
other:r-x

bash-3.00# getfacl .
# file: .
# owner: DOMAIN\administrator
# group: DOMAIN\domain users
user::rwx
group::r-x              	#effective:r-x
group:DOMAIN\domain admins:rwx  #effective:rwx
group:DOMAIN\insp:rwx           #effective:rwx
group:DOMAIN\insp adm:rwx       #effective:rwx
mask:rwx
other:r-x
default:user::rwx
default:user:DOMAIN\administrator:rwx
default:group::r-x
default:group:DOMAIN\domain admins:rwx
default:group:DOMAIN\insp:rwx
default:group:DOMAIN\insp adm:rwx
default:mask:rwx
default:other:r-x
bash-3.00#

User is member of groups "domain users, insp and "insp adm". No log
entries in samba logs are recorded while renaming file from Windows box
(log level 3). Can anybody tell me what's different from using smbclient
and accessing same share from Windows box in terms of ACL based
permissions ? How this can be fixed ? Am I missing something ?

Thanks for any tips in advance.

With best regards
Martynas