[Samba] high network traffic

eric roseme eroseme at emonster.rose.hp.com
Tue May 10 19:45:10 GMT 2005

I tested W2000 and XP-SP2 on 3.0.8 on HP-UX 11i v1 (HP CIFS Server).
All writes from 50KB file-save (notepad) were at MTU size, Samba was
actually a little more efficient (than 2003) using about 40 fewer
packets for the exchange.  Try testing a different app (notepad), to see
if it is app-specific.

The file size reporting is also unknown (JFS 3.3 layout 4).  My server
correctly lists file size over a share with XP-SP2.

An easy test is to install HP CIFS Server (it can co-exist with
Opensource Samba) and either test it, or "smbd -b" and see how the build
differs from yours (and smb.conf defaults).

Eric Roseme
Hewlett-Packard