[Samba] Does or doesn't vampiring users add them into multiple groups at the same time?

John H Terpstra jht at Samba.Org
Tue May 10 15:52:01 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 10 May 2005 01:33, Geoff Scott wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The new NT migration chapter of Samba guide seems to indicate in the
> migration Log Validation (section 9.3.1.1) that users get added to all the
> same groups that they were in under the NT4 domain.  However I am not
> seeing this despite having had a seemingly successful migration. All my
> users get added into the Domain User group but not into any other group.
> Is the text below now wrong or right????

If you use version 3.0.12 or later, for most migrations the multi-group info
should transfer OK. I am now aware that if the NT4 domain is post SP5 on some
migrations multi-group info is not transferred and some account (both user
and machine) password entries are not transferred either.

Maybe Andrew Bartlett will chime in on this?

> "
>
> 7. Q: After merging multiple NT4 Domains into a Samba-3 Domain, I lost all
> multiple group
> mappings. Why?
> A: Samba-3 currently does not implement multiple group membership
> internally. If you
> use the Windows NT4 Domain User Manager to manage accounts and you have an
> LDAP
> backend, the multiple group membership is stored in the Posix groups area.
> If you use
> either tdbsam or smbpasswd backend, then multiple group membership is
> handled through
> the UNIX groups file. When you dump the user accounts no group account
> information
> is provided. When you edit (change) UIDs and GIDs in each file to which you
> migrated
> the NT4 Domain data, do not forget to edit the UNIX /etc/passwd and
> /etc/group
> information also. That is where the multiple group information is most
> closely at your
> fingertips.
>
> "

Oops. That one needs updating. Thanks for pointing it out.

- John T.