[Samba] Samba BDC in the same subnet not getting connection requests

Ian Clancy clancyian at cel.ie
Tue May 10 13:33:57 GMT 2005

Prakash Velayutham wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Sorry for posting again. I would really appreciate any help with this.
>
>I have a Samba 3 PDC running with around 20 Windows XP/2K clients. The
>PDC and clients are in different subnets. Rrecently I decided to add
>a Samba 3 BDC in the same subnet as the clients, to give some failover
>and also to reduce across-switch traffic.
>After creating the BDC, I restarted one of the clients but don't see it
>establishing connection with the BDC, instead it connects as before with
>the PDC. How can I make a BDC effective in this case?
>
>Thanks,
>Prakash

Hi Prakash,
Some questions before we can help.
When you start the BDC what kind of output do you get in /var/log/messages ?.
Is your BDC registering itself as a logon server ?.
In your smb.conf what is your log level setting ?.
Is your WINS Server configured correctly and are your clients configured to use it ?.
What does 'nmblookup -S YOURBDC' return ?

--
Ian Clancy
IT Systems Engineer

P : ++353 93 23151