[Samba] REPOST No 3 - Browsing Problem on Samba 3.0.14 PLEASE HELP!!!

Christoph Herdeg c.herdeg at web.de
Mon May 9 09:16:19 GMT 2005

Hi John,

Many thanks for your answers. I've read many Howtos and FAQs and Tutorials
and books about implementing Samba in different infrastructures. In the most
relevant points my configuration use "best practice"-solutions.

According to the topic of WINS-support I must tell you that WINS is simply
not the way of solving problems in a proper and productive
Microsoft-/Linux-environment; I'd rather describe it as a
"quick'n'dirty"-way to solve beginner-troubles.

Yes: all the protocol stacks work perfectly although none of the machines
points to any WINS-server. We did / do not have any WINS-server within our
infrastructure and that's also the way it will be in the future. Yes: the
accessed files and folders are on 777 for testing purposes. Debugging? None.
Due to the fact that I'm originally coming from the windows-side of the
world, debugging is mostly unknown to me ;). If there is no entry in the
event-log after an error happened, I'm lost :(  What ways of debugging were
there?

And, above all that: our Samba- and VMware-solutions worked for over 1,5
years (of course with different releases of Samba) and it worked absoluteley
neat allover the time. The error exists for about two weeks and was never
seen before. So it definiteley has nothing to do with name resolution.

Regards,

Chris