[Samba] SMB Across VPN and socket options

Dan Tappin dan at orourke.ca
Fri May 6 17:19:21 GMT 2005

I have Samba v3.0.5 running on OS X Server 10.3.  On our local office
LAN we have no SMB browsing or speed issues at all.

We recently set-up a VPN between this office and an offsite location
via DSL and two Sonicwall firewall / VPN devices.  The offsite users
are having issues with SMB browsing and file transfer speeds and
reliability.  Now I know I am on asynchronous connections and I have
bandwidth restrictions but it seems that users browsing native
Windows 2K and 98 shares on individual computers across the VPN have
little or no issues.  I'm currently 'onsite' and am seeing averages
of like 7 MB/s which is inline with out outbound limits.

In my config file I have:

socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_KEEPALIVE
SO_SNDBUF=8576 SO_RCVBUF=8576

as has been suggested on various threads to speed up Samba.  Would
any one here have any suggestions or experience with this type of set-
up.

Thanks,

Dan