[Samba] Use Samba as drop-in replacement for NFS

Matt R aaron_milwaukee at yahoo.com
Thu May 5 18:35:43 GMT 2005

--- Frood <find.place at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/5/05, Matt R <aaron_milwaukee at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Is it possible to use Samba as a drop-in
> replacement
> > > for NFS, namely,
> > > allowing a system-wide anonymous mount which
> > > authenticates access to
> > > files based simply on the unix ids of the user
> > > accessing the files and
> > > the file permissions are equivalent to what is
> > > present in the
> > > underlying file system that is exported.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Frood
> >
> > Depending on your needs, possibly.  Remember that
> smb
> > filesystems don't support unix symlinks.  There
> could
> > be other changes.
> >

> I just tried symlinks and they worked
> (suprisingly!).  I'm interested
> in finding out if I can have NFS-like mount
> semantics, where there is
> a systemwide mount that all users access, and access
> control is
> provided by unix file permissions, as opposed to SMB
> share semantics,
> where each user has to be authenticated before they
> can mount a file
> system.
> > -Matt

As far as permissions, I'm not sure if its a windows
server.  if it's a samba server, then yes, UNIX
permissions rule.  As far as mounting smb, use
mount_smbfs (options) $SERVER/SHARE
$LOCAL_MOUTNT_POINT.  refer the man page for more
detail.

It should be noted that (IIRC) that only Linux and Mac
OS X can mount SMB shares.  Other UNIXes don't support
this.

-Matt

Discover Yahoo!
http://discover.yahoo.com/online.html