[Samba] Problems with lexmark printers

Margaret Doll Margaret_Doll at brown.edu
Wed May 4 13:32:25 GMT 2005

	We have just added a lexmark c510 color laserjet printer to our
network.  I have worked with HP printers previous to this and have
successfully had Windows computers select a queue from our linux server
which fed into the HP printers.  This does not work with the lexmark
printers.

Neither Windows XP or Windows 2000 worked by using the lexmark as a
network printer going through the server.  Jobs hang on the server
queue and never print.

Windows 2000  have to connect to the lexmark printers through a local
port using the ip address of the printer.  Windows 2000 are using the
postscript driver installed on the Windows computer.

Windows XP can connect as above but can also connect to the lexmark
printers through a local port using LPR to the server and indicating
the postscript queue, gc-lex201ps    The postscript driver is installed
on the Windows computer.

Windows XP using the PCL driver and the raw queue on server,
pc-lex201raw, can only connect through the local port using the ip
address.  Maybe this is because the LPR port was handling the ps queue
and Windows XP can only have one lpr port?

	We will not have much control over jams and non-printable jobs going
to the color lexmark printers if my findings are complete.

	Do you know of another way around the problem?