[Samba] Directory Contents Not Viewable

Will Esselink samba at hyguard.com
Tue May 3 22:31:20 GMT 2005

We have a Debian server running Samba 3.0.14a.

2 days ago this problem started in that we cannot view the contents of a
Samba share.

I can map a drive to a samba share and authenticate with no errors.
After authentication it just shows an empty directory on a Windows client?

I have tried numerous troubleshooting measures, such as increasing file
perms to world readable but have been unsuccessful.

On the server I have also used the smbclient command line utility and it
yields the same empty directory listing except it allows me to do one
extra thing. I can change directory to a folder even through i can't see
it!. For example I have samba share (/home/will ) with a test folder in
it. Although I can't see it I can change directory into it but it's
contents are blank as well (this is the same for all samba shares).

I have bumped up the logging to level 5 and have combed through the
exhaustive debugging information and there are no errors.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what would cause these weird problems?

See me smb.conf file below:

thanks

--Will

[global]
    workgroup = OAK
    server string = Oak Server
    obey pam restrictions = Yes
    passdb backend = tdbsam, guest
    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
    username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
    log level = 2
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    max log size = 1000
    debug pid = Yes
    debug uid = Yes
    smb ports = 139 445
    time server = Yes
    add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -s /bin/false -d /dev/null '%u'
    logon script = scripts\logon.bat
    logon drive = h:
    domain logons = Yes
    domain master = Yes