[Samba] Migrating roaming profiles to samba

Carlos Rodrigues carlos.efr at mail.telepac.pt
Tue May 3 15:01:43 GMT 2005

Hi!

I have an Windows 2003 with Active Directory providing authentication to
the network, and a SUSE box providing file services (currently hosting
the users' homes).

Now I want to migrate the roaming profiles from the Windows 2003 box to
the SUSE box, but it is proving difficult.

I copied a profile folder for a test user to the SUSE box and changed
its permissions to give ownership back to the user, but after changing
the users' profile path in AD, Windows clients say they can't use the
profile (the share is accessible to the user though).

My samba configuration isn't using winbind, its using kerberos + local
ldap authentication.

Can this be a permissions problem? Do I need to run winbind to be able
to do this? I thought roaming profiles were little more that normal
shares...

Carlos Rodrigues