[Samba] "logon path" and "logon home" settings return different values in 3.0.13?

Urs Rau urs.rau at uk.om.org
Wed Mar 30 21:24:44 GMT 2005

When exactly did the samba meaning/returns for "logon path" and "logon
home" change? (at which version?)

We used to have a system that appeared to be working well and it was as
follows

logon script = logon.bat
logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U
logon drive = h:
logon home = \\%L\%U\.profile
domain logons = Yes

and the [profiles] share had the following
[profiles]
         comment = User Profiles
         path = /usr/local/samba/profiles
         profile acls = Yes
         root preexec = PROFILE=/usr/local/samba/profiles/%u; if [ ! -e
$PROFILE
]; then mkdir -pm700 $PROFILE; chown %u.%g $PROFILE;fi

this gave all users a h: (for homes) regardless whether they were on
win9x or xp and their win98 profile was under h:\.profile and h: was
mapped to \\server\homes and their xp machines still mapped h: to
\\server\homes but the profiles were safely tucked away under
\\server\profiles\%U, away from users harm.

But now on 3.0.13 I noticed that the xp workstations h: drive now get's
mapped to \\server\homes\.profile,  XP is now reading the "logon home"
dir, why?

why is xp "suddenly" picking up what used to be used by the win9x machines?

I am sure there is a good writeup somewhere that explains how I set my
profiles up now.

The smb.conf man page has warnings about not using %U in the "logon
path" but how else do I get my old functionality back?

I would like to have the following effect (on both win98 and xp clients)

1. the user having a h:drive that get's mapped against his unix home dir

2.
and xp can handle the profile being "somewhere" else and we don't want a
drive mapping for it (but how do we now set this up so we don't run foul
of the xp habit of keeping connections open even after a user has logged
out?

3.
and for the win98 we want the profile to be in a "safer" dir and would
be quite happy for that to continue to be the ".profile" subdir under
the users win98 and unix home dir

What would I have to do with my "logon home", "logon path" and "logon
drive" ?

Regards,

Urs Rau

PS: I guess our current setup would explain why samba sometimes said a
user was still logged in and using files when they were not?