[Samba] Advice on a samba setup im considering

Jason jwilliams at courtesymortgage.com
Tue Mar 29 20:11:52 GMT 2005

Hello!

Was hoping to get some suggestion and ideas for a samba server I will be
implementing here in the next couple of weeks. I have gone through the
websites documentation, but I was hoping some of the veterans of samba could
maybe lend some ideas, advice and recommendations. I will try to be as
detailed as possible.

The samba server would server roughly 50-60 people. We have 3, maybe 4
departments that I would need to setup shares for (obviously, not all
departments would need access to all the shares.) The other thing im
considering is maybe trying to design this with the idea in mind of future
expansion of the company (6-12 months down the road possibly)

I've already installed the OS and Samba and I am in the process of configuring
samba.

What would be the recommended method for putting user accounts on the system?
I know I have a few options, but is there one I should consider more than the
other?

All the machines on the network are windows desktop. I would simply just map a
drive to the shares needed for each user.

I'm not going to setup this up as a PDC at this time. That would be something
I may revisit in about 6-12 months as well.

I have a lot to consider. Just hoping to get some ideas here.

Cheers,

Jason