[Samba] BDC problem!? user can't get profile/map drive

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Sun Mar 27 15:38:23 GMT 2005

>Then I try to shut down my PDC to check whether the
>client login through the BDC. I found that my client
>(on Window NT) are able to authenticated by BDC, but

Makes sense

>it keeps saying that it can't retrieve the user
>profile. Also the user's home drive can't map to
>client PC machine.

Also makes sense.

>the map drive and the profile path as //PDC/homes and
>//PDC/profiles. Is that mean, if I am using BDC, it is
>failed to find the //PDC/homes and //PDC/profiles?

If your pdc has gone down you will most certainly have a problem
mounting drives/accessing files on that machine, just as when any other
server goes down you can't access services hosted on it.  If this is
your goal, you need to find some way to make the pdc/home data highly
available, such as storing them on a seperate server that the users are
then pointed to for the data.  There are many ways to go about doing
this, you just need to find the way that works best for your situation.

--
Paul Gienger                    Office: 701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.