[Samba] samba3 x86_64 performance

Nathan Vidican nvidican at wmptl.com
Wed Mar 23 18:01:59 GMT 2005

We are running on Dual Opteron 244's and 246's right now... While no
'noticed' performance gain in terms of samba, we really have not anything to
compare to because we really only recently converted over to samba/ldap
domain for our file servers.

I will say though, that the O/S and mysql have seen a huge improvement in
speed, but again perhaps biased based on the fact that we went from slower
servers to these dual opteron machines too; difficult to say if any
noticeable difference from 32 to 64 bit. I do notice a difference in
userland on my laptop running in 32 bit vs 64 bit though; because I've
installed and ran both versions of the O/S on here just to see, (AMD Athlon
64 3200+ CPU in my laptop).

We're stictly FreeBSD shop here though; no Linux... No ideas on performance
differences with other O/S's either. Notably though, even windows runs
faster as 32 bit software because the memory controller/pipeline issues make
x86_64 that much faster in terms of pure 32 bit performance.

In short - don't really know, but do know the machines themselves are faster
than equivelent clock-cycling 32 bit machines, even if only running pure 32
bit software.

--
Nathan Vidican
nvidican at wmptl.com