[Samba] new samba box, xp can't login

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Mar 23 02:07:05 GMT 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-22 at 17:49 -0800, michael wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've recently created a new server (new P4) and installed samba.
> (Debian sarge with Samba 3.0.10)
>
> I've re-installed samba from scratch.
> I've copied over the old smb.conf and smbpasswd file,
> copied over /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow files too.
> (old server (P III) was the same, Debian sarge with 3.0.10)
>
> With the new server, the xp machines I have, won't login
> to the domain. The error message is as if the password is wrong.
> I can't see any info in the log.smbd or log.nmbd.
>
> If I re-add the xp machine back to the domain, then all will work
> again, but I'm wondering if there are some files from my old server
> that I can bring over that will allow the XP machines to login.
> I dont' want to have to re-add over 100 XP machines back to the domain.
>
> Anyone else have this problem?
----
what is the $HOME for each of them - does it exist? they sort of have to
be valid local users.

You neglected to say what previous version was...

this may be relevant...

http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2005-March/102412.html

of course - logs are your friend... loglevel 10 (or at least 3) should
tell you what the problem is.

Craig