[Samba] 2 servers, one with plaintext passwds, other encrypted passwds

Adam Williams awilliam at mdah.state.ms.us
Thu Mar 17 23:35:47 GMT 2005

Hello, at my workplace we have 2 samba servers.  One is a PDC called
archives1 with encrypted passwords.  The other server is called
Archives4 and it uses plaintext passwords (encrypted passwords = no in
smb.conf).  We have a Windows XP user who uses Archives1 for their file
sharing, but wants to connect to a share on Archives4 as well.  Being
that this user uses XP with encrypted passwords, she can't do
\\archives4\share because she gets the error \\10.8.82 is not
accessible, yadda yadda yadda.  She is getting this error because she's
using encrypted passwords to connect to Archives1, but Archives4 uses
plaintext passwords.  I know I can set Achives4 to use enrypted
passwords, and then run smbpasswd for each user and create them
accounts, but that is a lot of work just for 1 user to access a share.

So, besides enabling encrypted passwords on Archives4 and running
smbpasswd for each user, what are my options to have this user still be
able to access Archives1 with encrypted passwords and Archives4 with
plaintext passwords?