[Samba] samba server shows up as Domain Controller

Ayotunde Itayemi aitayemi at vmobile-nigeria.com
Thu Mar 17 10:02:39 GMT 2005

Hi All,

I finally compiled Samba 3.0.12pre1 (and 3.0.11) successfully on AIX
4.3.3!
The steps I took will be placed at
http://itayemi.tripod.com/samba.aix433.html

Issues:

I have joined an AD domain with the following commands. When I check on
AD,
I find that the computer is listed as a "DOMAIN CONTROLLER"?

net ads join
net join -U Administrator%password

Is this OK? My intention is just to make the machine a regular computer
on
the domain (or just a member server)

Also,
I can't change the security permissions on a share that belongs to me
which is the main reason I am testing Samba. I have a Samba 2.2.5
installed
at the moment, but permissions on folders/files are not as fine-grained
as
I would like. I would like users to be able to grant access/deny access
as
they please to other users/groups in Active Directory to their
files/folders
on the samba server.

With samba v 3.0.12, if I acess the security property on a folder and
attempt
to grant another user access to the folder, I get an error stating that
don't have the right permission to do so or an access-denied message.

Any ideas?

(I added the winbind lines later but it didn't change anything)

[global]
	workgroup = MYREALDOMAIN
	server string = ARCHIVESYSTEM
	security = ADS