[Samba] Samba and LDAP Base DN

Tony Earnshaw tonye at billy.demon.nl
Wed Mar 16 20:02:24 GMT 2005

Misty Stanley-Jones:

> Right now, I have all of my Samba stuff under
> ou=corp,dc=mycompany,dc=com.  I have it this way because there used to
> also be ou=furn,dc=mycompany,dc=com with a different domain.  Now that I
> only have one domain, I would like to move everything to
> dc=mycompany,dc=com.  So I copy all of the subentries of ou=corp
> (ou=computers, ou=people, ou=grooups, and the sambaDomainName
> entries) to dc=mycompany,dc=com.  I change the /etc/ldap.conf files to all
>  point to the new OU.  Perfect.  However when I change the baseDN in my
> smb.conf, all of a sudden I cannot authenticate.  Even when doing
> smbcontrol smbd reload-config.  The only thing I can figure is that it
> might be doing a 'sub' search and finding two entries for my user, because
> I left the
> 'ou=corp' DN as it was.  Is it that, or is there something else I have to
> do in order to restructure my LDAP tree?

Your /etc/ldap.conf doesn't have anything to do with /etc/samba/smb.conf.
Further "copying" leaves in containers to other leaves in other containers
is bound to end you up in some deep trouble, since you will then have
duplicate UIDs and a lot more shit.

First understand LDAP, then adapt it to Samba.

--Tonni

mail: tonye at billy.demon.nl
http://www.billy.demon.nl