[Samba] Citrix, Samba PDC experiences.

Prakash Velayutham prakash.velayutham at cchmc.org
Tue Mar 15 14:56:13 GMT 2005

On Mar 14, 2005, at 2:47 PM, Mark Nehemiah wrote:

> sorry about the top post.?  what exactly does that mean.   I thought I
> cc'd a copy of my reply to you to the list.  Should I not have done
> that?
> or what did I do?
> thanks,
>     that aside,
>                 oops I forgot about idealx, silly me.  Yes, I have seen
> thier docs.  I probably will be trying to absorb info from
> those 3 sets of docs.  Any early ideas on what you had to
> change verses the docs at idealx?
>
> thanks again,
>                       Mark.
>
> On Mon, March 14, 2005 12:14 pm, Prakash Velayutham said:
>> Mark Nehemiah wrote:
>>
>>>     Hi thanks for the quick reply.  I really just needed the fact
>>> that
>>> it
>>> works, and people are using it ok, before I go through the openLDAP,
>>> pdc setup.  I've looked over the samba docs, and the docs at
>>> http://www.unav.es/cti/ldap-smb-howto.html and they seem pretty good.
>>> I have not set up openLDAP before, except for email addresses.  Any
>>> advice, or howto information would be appreciated.  Is there any
>>> other sources of info that you would refer to besides SAMBA docs, and
>>> the link above for openLDAP, SAMBA pdc information?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>             Mark.

>> Please try not to top post.
>> That aside, did you take a look at idealx documents? I used most of
>> them
>> directly, but there are somethings in that document you will need to
>> change as it does not work.
>>
>> Prakash

Hi Mark,

Sorry for the delayed response. If you noticed, (almost) everyone in
the list tries to reply at the end of previous reply. If you reply at
the beginning that is top posting. Bottom posting is easier as I read
through the previous transactions from top to bottom and continue to
reply the last mail.
Anyway, if you are trying Samba 3, you must have already noticed that
to ensure nss_ldap works fine, you will have to either add your
computer accounts under people branch, or see to that your
nss_ldap_passwd entry in /etc/ldap.conf looks at the common parent
branch of where people accounts and computer accounts are located. This
is one thing I stumbled on, which is obviously not in idealx docs. I
was (probably still am) a newbie to LDAP and Samba at that time, so
could not figure this out for almost a whole day.
Another thing is to give the "Administrator" account (belonging to
Samba PDC's Domain Admins group) gid of 0. I cannot remember the exact
things that did not work with idealx right now, but if you get into
trouble, please email.

Good luck,
Prakash