[Samba] Transport endpoint is not connected

William Jojo jojowil at hvcc.edu
Wed Mar 9 16:08:30 GMT 2005

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> William Jojo wrote:
>
> | Here are a couple of links further describing your findings.
> |
> | http://www.petri.co.il/what_is_port_445_in_w2kxp.htm
> |
> | http://ntsecurity.nu/papers/port445/
> |
> | http://www.windowsitpro.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/26709/26709.html
> |
> | I wonder what the Samba developers suggest as a recommended
> | means of setting up both Samba and the clients. (Primarily
> | for our newbee's moving to Samba and such :-) )
>
> Not sure what you mean here, Bill.

Yeah, that was vague. :-)

We are considering having a line:

smb ports = 445

and leaving out the 139. The defaults for most untouched TCP/IP
configurations in Windows is to use NetBT if the IP is hard coded or no
DHCP option is offered wrt to NetBT.

Both 445 and 139 are connected and 139 dumped in favor of 445 as you
pointed out. That's cool with me, but are there risks in us *choosing* to
only listen on 445, or should Samba admins be encouraged to use only 445
and abandon NetBT. Of course there are other applications that may *need*
139, so perhaps this conversation is in vain :-)

The majority of connections on my server with "netstat -an" show 445, but
there are a *few* using 139.

For exmaple we use Ghost for rapid imaging and I'm researching speed
differentials since moving from 2.2 to 3.0 and from ghost 6->7->8. Perhaps
it has everything to do with 445 vs. 139 connectivity. I'm still
researching that using MS-Client and Samba.

These are the sort of things I and perhaps others are curious about and
unfortunately, I've found limited and/or conflicting information on this
topic and was wondering what the Samba developers thought was good/bad
practice wrt port information and having a happy network.

Thank you, Jerry, for your time.

Bill