[Samba] joining a domain without having Windows admin privileges

David Landgren landgren at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 10:00:14 GMT 2005

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 00:06:10 -0600, J Raynor <raynorj at mn.rr.com> wrote:

> I would like to use "security = domain" for a samba server, but the only
> way I've found to do that is to issue the command "net rpc join -U
> admin%password" where "admin" is a Windows user that has the authority
> to create machine accounts.  I don't have that authority, and I don't
> think I can get it.

Then you won't be able to join. Domains are an invite-only thing. You
can't come and play if you haven't been asked.

> Is there another way to do this?  For instance, if the Windows admins
> add the machine account for me, can I issue a different command to join
> the domain?  What command?

Ask the admins to insert if for you into the domain. There's a reason
it's done this way, so that the admins have a nominal idea of what
machines are on their network, and thus, potentially responsible for.

David