[Samba] Getent wbinfo problems

COUPER Rebecca Rebecca.Couper at stanwell.com
Mon Mar 7 02:28:15 GMT 2005

I am currently trying to get Samba v3.0.8 working on a Solaris 8 server.
I have followed all of the instructions provided in the Samba HOW TO
guide, and have successfully completed all of the tests contained in
section 32 of the HOW TO.  The security level that I am trying to use is
domain as we only have one domain in our organisation.  I receive the
names of all of the NT users and groups when I run the wbinfo -u and
wbinfo -g commands, but am unable to get the names of the NT users and
groups when I run getent passwd and getent groups.

I used the following commands when compiling Samba -

CC=gcc ./configure --with-ads --with-acl-support --with winbind
--with-ldap --with-pam

Everything compiled ok and installed where it was supposed to.

I have edited /etc/nsswitch.conf to include winbind in the passwd and
group entries.

The smbd, nmbd and winbind services start and shutdown as they should.

The server joined the Windows 2003 domain without any problems.

The following is the global settings contained in the smb.conf file.
The shares are basic, with no valid users being specified on them yet.

workgroup = FRED
guest account = george
nt acl support = yes
security = domain
encrypt passwords = yes
server string = Mildred
netbios name = mildred
idmap uid = 2000 - 60000
idmap gid = 2000 - 60000
password server = *

client use spnego = yes
winbind enum users = yes
winbind enum groups = yes

Can anyone help me work out what is going on?  I have been looking at
this for over a week now and am at a dead end as to what could be going
wrong with the winbind stuff to not allow the windows accounts and
groups to be seen when the getent command is run.  Does anyone have a
solution to this problem??

Thanks

Rebecca

This email (including all attachments) may contain personal information and is intended solely for the named addressee. It is confidential and may be subject to legal or other professional privilege and any confidentiality or privilege is not waived or lost because this email has been sent to you by mistake.  This email is also subject to copyright.  No part of it should be reproduced, adapted or communicated without the written consent of the copyright owner. Any personal Information in this email must be handled in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth).  If you have received it in error, please let Stanwell Corporation Limited know by reply email, delete it from your system and destroy any copies.  Stanwell is not responsible for any changes made to a document other than those made by Stanwell.  Stanwell accepts no liability for any damage caused by this email or its attachments due to viruses, interference, interception, corruption or unauthorised access.   If  you have any doubts about the authenticity of an email purportedly sent by us, please contact us immediately.  If this is a commercial electronic message within the meaning of the Spam Act 2003 (Cth), you may indicate that you do not wish to receive any further commercial electronic messages from Stanwell by emailing mailto:privacy at stanwell.com.