[Samba] Re: Samba errors with smb QUERY_PATH_INFO, Error: STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Thu Mar 3 18:51:25 GMT 2005

On Thursday 03 March 2005 11:12, david rankin wrote:
> I don't know if it matters to samba, but it looks like the InfoTip and
> LocalizedString entries cause the expansion. Why in the heck it happens
> accessing my personal/soccer share via samba is the mystery. It looks like
> there might be something strange in the way samba is handling the
> @%SystemRoot% string.

Samba is not involved in handling the %SystemRoot% string, that is entirely a
matter local to the Windows workstation. The value of the %SystemRoot%
environment variable is stored in the registry.

On another note, during the login process the domain member workstation will
try to connect to the NETLOGON share on the server that is providing the
network logon service to that client. If at any point in the early phases of
accessing what the client expects to find there it hits an error condition it
seems as if Win2kP/XPP commence a search action that changes with each logon.
This suggests that this possibly caused by some form of data corruption or
buffer over-run condition on the client. That may explain why some of the
weird file and directory searches are occurring.

The trans2 calls that I saw failing last week were during a Win2KP access to a
Samba server that is an NT4 domain member. The patch Jeremy provided fixed a
unicode string parsing problem that was causing a segfault in smbd. I was
able to repoduce the problem during netlogon access with the same client
accessing the NETLOGON share on a Samba PDC.

> Does any of this make sense??????

No. But then again, my response above probably doesn't make sense either. :-)

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra
Samba-Team Member