[Samba] OT: Is "Samba" an acronym?

Saliou, Gilbert gilbert.saliou at eds.com
Thu Mar 3 17:21:21 GMT 2005

http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/SambaIntro.html

Through his E'mail contacts, Andrew discovered that NetBIOS and SMB were
actually (though nominally) documented. With this new information at his
fingertips he set to work again, but soon ran into another problem. He was
contacted by a company claiming trademark on the name that he had chosen for
his server software. Rather than cause a fuss, Andrew did a quick scan
against a spell-checker dictionary, looking for words containing the letters
"smb". "Samba" was in the list. Curiously, that same word is not in the
dictionary file that he uses today. (Perhaps they know it's been taken.)