[Samba] Re: Samba errors with smb QUERY_PATH_INFO, Error: STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND

david rankin drankin at cox-internet.com
Thu Mar 3 15:42:03 GMT 2005

From: "Gerald (Jerry) Carter" <jerry at samba.org>

> david rankin wrote:
>
> | SMB NT Create AndX Request, Path: \personal\soccer\wiashext.dll
> | SMB NT Create AndX Response, Error: STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND
> | NBNS     Name query NB NEMESIS<20>
> | DNS      Standard query A Nemesis.3111skyline.com
> | NBNS     Name query response[Malformed Packet]
> | DNS      Standard query response, No such name
> | DNS      Standard query A Nemesis.3111skyline.com
> | DNS      Standard query response, No such name
> | NBNS     Name query NB NEMESIS<00>
> | NBNS     Name query response[Malformed Packet]
> |
> |    Once the AndX Response error occurs, it seems
> | to through XP into some  sort of loop where it queries
> | each of the mapped drives or each of the  folders listed
> | under "My Network Places" with netbios and dns requests.
> | This cause fits for a laptop where some of the
> | connections are not  established (like when your
> | working at home - the work server isn't there, etc..)
>
> This sounds like expected XP behavior to me.  Looks
> like perhaps the client is search the PATH for
> libraries or *.exe's.

Jerry,

    I agree ... and ... that is what doesn't make sense. Specifically, note
the Create AndX Request:

> | SMB NT Create AndX Request, Path: \personal\soccer\wiashext.dll

In the request, for some reason unexplained, it is looking for the path
"\personal\soccer\wiashext.dll" The weird part is that there is no file
called "waishext.dll" in that path. The questiona posed are:

(1) Why is Create AndX looking for a file called waishext.dll in my soccer
directory?? I coach my 5 year olds team and there is nothing in the soccer
directory except word files, etc...

(2) Is it XP or Samba that causes Create AndX to look for the file?

(3) Which ever package it is that causes the search, how do we tell it to
stop? Literally, it causes a 15 second delay between hitting the File ->
Open -> (directory drop down list box) and actually getting the new
directory list shown.

I googled the waishext.dll file and found the following:

General information
File Name: wiashext.dll
File Size: 589312 bytes (575 KB)

Extended file information:
File Version: 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
Company Name: Microsoft Corporation
File Description Imaging Devices Shell Folder UI
Product Name Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
OS info NT-Win32
File Type DLL
File SubType N/A

Any idea why Create AndX is looking for a .dll that relates to an Imaging
Devices Shell Folder UI??

I'm seeing this on 3.0.7. It occurs on both Suse 9.0 and Mandrake 7.2.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
RANKIN LAW FIRM, PLLC