[Samba] Permission Denied with updated version of Samba

Mark Kunkel mck at ingersoll.com
Tue Mar 1 20:03:16 GMT 2005

I have changed from using samba version 2.0.3 running on SCO OpenServer 5 to
samba version 3.0.11 running on RedHat 8.0

My client computer is Windows XP. The problem also exists on Windows NT. The
Windows XP computer has MKS Toolkit 8.7 The Windows NT computer has
NuTCRACKER 4.2 These products provide Unix APIs to aid in porting
applications from Unix to Windows.

>From my command shell, I can issue a cat command to list the contents of a
file, which exists on my server just fine. If however I try to open that
same file programatically, then, I get a permission denied error.

I have included a copy of the smb.conf file at then end of this email.

Any suggestions as to what could be wrong, and how to correct it. It seems
that this is a problem with the samba software, unless of course the MKS or
NuTCRACKER software exploited some previous bug that has now been fixed.

My hope is that I can change some setting in the samba to correct this.

Thank you for any assistance.

Mark

############## smb.conf ###################

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 0.0.0.0 (0.0.0.0)
# Date: 2005/02/25 09:25:14

# Global parameters