[Samba] Smbd processes out of control

Matt Lung matt.lung at midwest-tool.com
Wed Jun 29 14:00:01 GMT 2005

In the past few months we have seen a couple of our production servers
crash that are running samba-3.0.14a-1.  What seems to happen is the
smbd pid's seem to grow and grow until an out of memory error occurs and
the smbd process just hangs.  A simple restart does not even clear out
the pid's.  I end up rebooting to just clear it all out and start
fresh.  It probably has happened at least once a month for the past 3
months.

We are running Fedora Core 3 with kernel-2.6.11-1.14.  We have turned
off all unneeded services and have it running only what we need.  The
main services this server provides is postgresql, and smb shares.   It
is also doing hourly rsync of data to another server which momentarily
hogs up all the cpu and memory a few minutes an hour.  The server is
setup as a domain member authenticating to our PDC via LDAP.  One thing
we continually see in our logwatch reports is that kernel leases are
broken by samba pid's.  I don't know if that has something to do with it
or not.  I do have kernel oplocks turned on.

Hopefully someone else having similar problems or had similar problems
can lend a helping hand.  This is really starting to get annoying since
it is so random.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

--
Matt Lung

Midwest Tool & Die, Corp.