[Samba] How to I change server=[Samba 3.04.14a-2] to something else?

Alex Satrapa alex.satrapa at apf.edu.au
Fri Jun 24 01:36:40 GMT 2005

On 24 Jun 2005, at 03:59, AWC Lists wrote:

> BUT, the machine that has already connected to the samba server
> continues to say "Samba 3.0.14-2" even after shutting down the
> entire network (including samba server).  So for some reason the
> new server string is not being picked up by the first Windows XP
> SP2 machine - it just merrily uses what it read the first time
> apparently forever.

All I can contribute is that I made the changes to "server string"
and "comment" for my last message, while watching from a Windows XP
SP2 workstation. Before I made the changes, the two strings were the
same ("Australian Phenomics Facility"), after the changes they were
different ("Mendel (APF)" and "Australian Phenomics Facility"
respectively). I shut down the Windows XP machine before making the
changes and started it up after making the changes.

So whatever is causing this persistence of server string and comment
fields on the Windows XP SP2 machines apparently doesn't apply to my
Windows XP SP2 workstation. The workstation in question was in my
workshop, it had just been reinstalled (Windows XP, Microsoft Office
2003), and it was set up as a workstation in the Samba controlled
Domain. I was logged on variously as an Administrator and a standard
user.

Alex