[Samba] How to I change server=[Samba 3.04.14a-2] to somethin g else?

Geoff Scott geoffs at guestshire.com
Thu Jun 23 06:12:34 GMT 2005

John H Terpstra wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 June 2005 22:53, Geoff Scott wrote:

>> populations IT knowledge!)
>

> In your smb.conf [global] set:
>
> 	server string = MADMAX
>
> That will stop display of the samba version info. You will have to
> clear the connection history from ALL Windows clients - they remember
> the old server string and do not refresh it.
>
> - John T.

Yep, I had a server string in there for a week already.  And did a reload,
but nothing changed.  It's been showing "Samba 3.0.7" in the window title
bars for ages even though I've been on 3.0.14a for a while.

So do I completely restart all smbd processes, or do I have to restart every
windows box before the server string (windows title bar) changes?

Regards Geoff Scott