[Samba] [Q] Are passwords case-sensitive in samba 3?

Maurice Volaski mvolaski at aecom.yu.edu
Thu Jun 23 01:45:31 GMT 2005

Apparently it was possible from Windows 2000 and XP clients to ignore
the case of a mixed-case password and successfully logon users in
samba-2.2.8a. Samba 3.0.14a-r1, however, is case-sensitive.
(Passwords are stored in the smbpasswd file and encrypt passwords =
Yes.)

 From what I discovered, Windows 2000 and XP support NTLM-based
password authentication, where passwords are case-sensitive. But how
was samba-2.2.8a able to ignore it in all situations from all
clients? If I try setting ntlm auth = No,  3.0.14a-r1 still demands
the upper/lower case match.

other keywords: uppercase, lowercase, username, lanman

Maurice Volaski, mvolaski at aecom.yu.edu