[Samba] Samba, OS X Tiger 10.4 plain text password, username null-padded?

Betsy Schwartz betsys at gsd.harvard.edu
Thu Jun 16 03:04:36 GMT 2005

Oh we have asked Apple, thanks! We've got an Apple engineer coming onsite
tomorrow, even, and I'll report back on what he says (so far he's just
asked about us using authenticated passwords....) Hope this might help
others, at any rate.

If anyone can shed some light on how null-padding is *supposed* to work
with plaintext passwords, I'd be grateful. I've googled around a bit and
found some docs for NTLM and NTLM2 auth but I'm still a bit foggy about the
whole thing.

Probably we'll end up switching to encrypted passwords and deal with the
other issues that had us using plaintext in the first place, but I *would*
like to understand how this all should be working. And, if anyone else has
gotten Tiger to *work* with plaintext please do let us know.

thanks Betsy

  Betsy Schwartz                                                    email:
betsys at gsd.harvard.edu
Unix Systems Administrator,CRG                           voice: 617-495-5947
Harvard Graduate School of Design                         fax:    617-496-5866