[Samba] Adding a cups printer driver

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at mch.one.pl
Wed Jun 15 20:43:18 GMT 2005

Stefan Petersen schrieb:

> These are the drivers. They are the Adobe Postscript Drivers.
> The files reside in /usr/share/cups/drivers.
>

> coruscant ~ # ls -la /usr/share/cups/drivers
> insgesamt 2249
> drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root          240  5. Jun 17:33 .
> drwxr-xr-x   10 root     root          248  5. Jun 13:01 ..
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root       575573 11. Jul 2000  Adfonts.mfm
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root      1297280 23. Apr 2002  Adobeps4.drv
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root       233348 23. Apr 2002  Adobeps4.hlp
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root        13493 23. Apr 2002  defprtr2.ppd
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root       118128 23. Apr 2002  Iconlib.dll
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root        57344 11. Jul 2000  Psmon.dll

It looks like you're using drivers that are not recognized by cupsaddsmb.

Try using small characters exclusively, if not, this is how you get
those drivers:

1) google for "Adobe Universal PostScript Windows Driver Installer
1.0.6" and install the driver (install some non-existing printer during
the installation, for example on LPT port)
2) "share" your printer on a Windows machine
3) go to \\your_windows\print$ - you will find your postscript drivers
there (you can find them also somewhere under %windows%, but I'm not
familiar with windows 98

If you open cupsaddsmb in an editor, you will see what files does it
look for (so your look pretty OK, check if it'll work with small
characters).
Actually I had a similar issue today, it was caused by one file with
missing character made by me when I was "lowering" the case.

> The command for cupsaddsmb was:
>
> cupsaddsmb -H coruscant -U root -h coruscant -v PagePro8L
> Password for root required to access coruscant via SAMBA:
> Running command: rpcclient coruscant -N -U'root%xxxx' -c 'setdriver PagePro8L
> PagePro8L'
> added interface ip=192.168.1.20 bcast=192.168.1.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
> Succesfully set PagePro8L to driver PagePro8L.

Yeah this is how it looks like when it has no appropriate drivers in
/usr/share/cups/drivers
It would be nice if it gave some warning, though.

> But unfortuanately the directory of /etc/samba/drivers, as set in smb.conf is
> empty. I can browse the printer on the Win98 client, but it still asks for
> the driver. As far as I know it should get the drivers from the server,
> shouldn't it?

yes, if cupsaddsmb works, it will give you some more output, and you
will get the files copied into /etc/samba/drivers (just copying files
there is not enough, it has to be "registered" with rpcclient, too,
which is all done by cupsaddsmb).

Hope this helps.

--
Tomek

WPKG - deploy software to your Samba clients
http://wpkg.org