[Samba] Re: net groupmap add/modify script fails

Jeremy jeremyhack at email.com
Thu Jun 9 20:36:38 GMT 2005

John H Terpstra <jht <at> Samba.Org> writes:

> Stop samba, delete the /var/lib/samba/group_mapping.tdb file, then re-run the
> script. There should be NO errors. Then re-start samba.

Brilliant!  That worked.  I think i know the problem-  when the script failed
the first time winbind was not installed.  I installed winbind, restarted samba,
ran the script again and it still failed.  I can also successfully do #smbpasswd
-a mhoernig.

In addition, whilst searching for "winb" at
http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/secure.html I found 2
inconsistencies when comparing smb.conf, given in Example 3.4, to #testparm -s
output, shown in Procedure 3.6.6 in the validation section.

1.

3.4
[global]
.
.
.
add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -s /bin/false -d /tmp '%u'

compared to

3.6.6
.
.
add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd \ -s /bin/false -d /dev/null '%u'

2.

The entry in 3.6.6 (shown below) is missing in 3.4.

[global]
.
.
.