[Samba] Could not find base dn, to get next uidNumber

Mattia mattia at sinapto.net
Tue Jun 7 14:51:16 GMT 2005

Hi all,
I've got a problem on a pdc based on:

- Fedora Core 2
- samba-3.0.10-1.fc2
- openldap-2.1.29-1
- smbldap-tools-0.9.1-1.1.fc2.rf

Today I've updated smbldap-tools from version 0.8.1 to 0.9.1.
looking at the new configuration files (smbldap.conf in particular) I've
noticed the default value of sambaUnixIdPooldn has changed from the
version I've used until now

- 0.8.1
sambaUnixIdPooldn="cn=NextFreeUnixId,${suffix}"

- 0.9.1
sambaUnixIdPooldn="sambaDomainName=MYDOMAIN,${suffix}"

as a result, when i try to create a new user account, i get the followin
error:

[root at pdc root]# smbldap-useradd -amP mrossi
Could not find base dn, to get next uidNumber at
/usr/sbin///smbldap_tools.pm line 995, <DATA> line 283.

using again the old value of sambaUnixIdPooldn everything works, but i
suppose this solution wouldn't be the best one :)
Googling I've found this

http://docs.biostat.wustl.edu/smbldap-tools/smbldap-tools007.html#toc26

Does anyone knows if running smbldap-populate on an already populated
(and used) ldap database could create problems? The system is already in
production, and I'm little bit worried about the side effects of the
this operation... :)

Thanks a lot in advance to everyone

Mattia