[Samba] Configuring Samba with LDAP

Robert M. Martel bob at urban.csuohio.edu
Mon Jun 6 19:35:52 GMT 2005

On 06/06/2005 03:19 PM, Mattier, Ricardo wrote:
> Hello,
>     I'm having problems configuring Samba to work using ADS.  I've
> successfully compiled LDAP. When I try ./configure --with-pam
> --with-winbind --with-ads --with-krb5 --with-ldap  It says "Active
> Directory support requires LDAP support"  Are there any variables that
> need to be set?  I've done --with-ldap=/usr/local/openldap (This the
> prefix for openldap).  I'm installing this on a Solaris 9 machine.  Has
> anyone been successful with
> this, and if so, please let me know what you had to do.  Thanks in
> Advance!!

Rick, I am working on this right now.  I found the following document
helpful for getting myself going on solaris:
http://www.samag.com/documents/s=9427/sam0414e/0414e.htm  .

If you've not looked at the Samba docs, be sure to check them out:
http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/unixclients.html
http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/unixclients.html#adssdm
http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/winbind.html#id25

Are you using the "stock" Solaris kerberos?  I have read that there are
issues with it.  I built my own copy of MIT kerberos and installed into
/opt/local/kerberos5 so that part of my samba configure looks like:

./configure --prefix=/opt/local/samba --with-automount \
	--with-profile --with-acl-support --with-utmp \
	--with-winbind --with-ads --with-ldap \
	--with-krb5=/opt/local/kerberos5 --with-pam

I do not yet have a working build on Solaris (it wants "_pam_macros.h"
which I cannot find), I did build a working version using many of the
same parts on SuSE Linux 9.2 to prove to myself that I could do it.

-Bob Martel

Bob Martel,System Administrator  I met someone who looks a lot like you
Levin College of Urban Affairs   She does the things you do
Cleveland State University       But she is an IBM
(216) 687-2214
bob at urban.csuohio.edu                                -Jeff Lynne