[Samba] Help! Settings in roaming profile are not "sticking"

Ruth Ivimey-Cook Ruth.Ivimey-Cook at ivimey.org
Mon Jun 6 07:51:58 GMT 2005

I'm reinstalling my Windows XP box. It has been on my home domain with a
roaming profile for some time. I had earlier problems with the roaming user
not able to log in at all but I can now log in using that account thanks to
deleting the samba cache.

The problem now is that settings in the roaming profile are not "sticking".
For example, the old profile has the "Coffee bean" background and the XP
Themed appearance. Now, as it loads, it starts to set coffee bean, then
before fully loaded replaces it with windows-blue, and the windows style is
"classic". Moreover, I can't change the desktop or theme at all, and icons
refuse to stay put if I move them. In the old setup, I had Outlook all set
up nicely. Now, although it starts up it says it can't load, and exits.

Can anyone give me a hint as to what has gone wrong? Is there some registry
or policy setting or machine-SID-related thing that would cause this?

Yours hopefully,
Ruth

System info: PDC is Samba 3.0 on Fedora Linux. I have 2 other XP machines
that have been using the profile ok, along with the former install on the
"problem" machine. Problem machine is a P4 3GHz, 1.5GB RAM. XP SP2 plus
latest patches.