[Samba] [Fwd: Samba Blues]

John H Terpstra jht at Samba.Org
Fri Jun 3 14:00:07 GMT 2005

Alfred,

Please do not extricate your finger nails with a precision instrument, such as
a pair of pliers. May I suggest that you follow the appropriate chapter of
the book "Samba-3 by Example" (aka. Samba-Guide).

The first 6 chapters document 8 complete network configurations that go all
the way from the simplest design to a rather complex design. Each chapter is
designed to be stand-alone.

The benefit of following the step-by-step implementation that is documented in
this book is that it reduces the overhead for those who wish to assist you
when things go wrong. The benefit you get from following this book is that
you have guidance that is known to work.

In respect of your smb.conf file, please escape your macros using either
single or double quotes. So, for example:

add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -m "%u"

has  the %u macro quoted so that the value of the macro will not have
undesirable side-effects, such as when a name has a space in it.

Also, please be aware that some versions of the Linux utilities that provide
the user and group management tools have adopted draconian policies that
prevents the addition of user and group names that contain upper-case
characters and non-alphanumeric characters. Since machine names may be upper
or lower case, and conntains a '$' character the use of the more restrictive
shadow-utils package (and it's related equivalents) are potential road-blocks
to Samba deployment.

Cheers,
John T.

--