[Samba] RPC protocol error with one user on login (64 bit svr 2003 client - samba 3.0.14a PDC)

Brad Langhorst brad at langhorst.com
Sun Jul 24 17:48:43 GMT 2005

This user is attemting to log in on a win2003 64 bit client to a PDC
running 3.0.14a.

The user is able to log on on another machine (32 bit, I don't have
another 64 bit machine)

There was a local user with the same username but that user was deleted
after adding the machine to the domain.

I cannot see an error in a level 5 log from the client.
I see nothing in the windows event log.

I did find a similar thread from the end of may
Re: [Samba] RPC error logging in to PDC on Win-64

but no resolution...

Jeremy and Jerry asked for a packet dump...
I have made that dump.

The strange bit is that this error does not occur for another user with
the same permission set.

please find the trace here:
http://langhorst.com/rpc_error.pcap

a level 5 log fragment can be found here:
http://langhorst.com/rpc_error.smblog

or a tgz with both here:
http://langhorst.com/rpc_errors_64bitlogon.tgz

I'm trying to figure this out myself but it's going to be slow going...

thanks for any help!

brad