[Samba] Understaning Domain Name Resolution

Kevin B kevin1a at varlog.net
Thu Jul 21 04:20:03 GMT 2005

> Hello,
>
> I've read chapter 4 [and all other chapters btw] of the Samba by Example
> latest version online and the mailing list archives
> and have a question re: domain name resolution.
>
> If I have a domain 'AD.NET' I can setup a zone in Bind with an SRV record
> and my XP Pro clients can find the domain controller and join the domain.
> A simple zone looks like this:
>
> $ttl 38400
> ad.net. IN      SOA     ad.ad.net. admin.ad.net. (
>                        1113970738
>                        10800
>                        3600
>                        604800
>                        38400 )
> ad.net. IN      NS      ad.ad.net.
> ad.ad.net.      IN      A       192.168.4.3
> _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.ad     IN    SRV  ad.ad.net
>
> Now if my domain name happens to be 'AD' instead of 'AD.NET',
> I have problems when joining the domain, XP Pro reports it cannot find
> the SRV record.  I tried defining domain 'AD' in dhcp scope instead of DNS
> [per chapter 4] and tried running the Samba server as a WINS server and
> pointing XP to it.
> XP and the Samba DC are registering in wins.dat -but-
> it still fails looking for an SRV record. Ethereal shows XP asking the
> whole lan for the DC via DNS and no one knows it.
>
> So I setup a master zone in bind for 'AD'[removing '.net' from each
> relevent line] above but still the DC cannot be found.
>
> I'm sure a lot of old NT4 domains were single name so I'm hoping someone
> has
> resolved this before.
> Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

Hi

I had some time to work on this tonight. I ended up creating
an entry in XP LMHOSTS file

192.168.4.200  SLES9  #PRE #DOM:DOMAIN

Joining the domain still errors with 'no such user' -but- ethereal
[filtering for SAMR] show the communication between the 2 hosts.
XP now finds the DC which is great.
I reset the root passwd to be sure but still fail to join.
I verified roots password with phpldapadmin.

So I try to SSH to the server with putty just to see if I can login.
It asks me for root password and once I enter it, it now
asks me for 'LDAP Password'.

I've never seen a double prompt for a password.

Any ideas??
Thanks in advance??

Kevin B