[Samba] Re: Windows File Permissions

Ryan Kather RDKath at Roushind.com
Tue Jul 19 12:54:18 GMT 2005

Larry,

Thank you for your response.  Dumpacl is an interesting option.  It would be a very similar setup to how I handle NetWare trustees presently with trustee.nlm. I could run a scheduled task from the workstations accessing this data to dump the ACL rights.  It appears the utility has been changed to dumpsec I am still trying to determine how you could restore this rights file.

If this works it would appear easier then winbind hackery.

>>> "Larry Bernstone" <Larry.Bernstone at efirstbank.com> 07/18/05 11:42AM >>>
Ryan,
you might be able to do the same sort of thing you do on Netware.
That, is, have a windows server (or even a w/s) run dumpacl to generate
a file containing the rights info, and back that up along with it.  Not
sure what is a good way to restore those on windows, but I'll bet
someone has gone through that pain before you.

>>> "Ryan Kather" <RDKath at Roushind.com> 7/15/2005 9:46:02 AM >>>
I have recently designed a backup strategy for my company built around
RSYNC.  The strategy appears sound for NetWare NSS data and Linux/Unix
data as the filesystem permissions are maintained (though some hackery
is required for NetWare).

However, recently a large amount of Windows data has been added to the
project raising concerns about filesystem rights.  The windows data is
archived on NetApp filers running DataOnTap 7 with NTFS security mode.
The filers are presented to clients as NAS, and I can mount these
volumes with the samba client mount -t smbfs (what about CIFS?).

So to the real question!  Is there a way to view and preserve the
windows filesystem rights with RSYNC?  I am pretty sure I am not able to
view them in the present mount statement as winbindd does not run with
samba-client and getfacl does not show extended ACL's matching windows
rights.

Thank you for any insight anyone has.

Regards,
Ryan

--
The information contained in this electronic communication and any document attached hereto or transmitted herewith is confidential and intended for the exclusive use of the individual or entity named above.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any examination, use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication or any part thereof is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy this communication.  Thank you.