[Samba] Laptop and local vs roaming profiles/users

Mi mi.lists at alma.ch
Fri Jul 15 17:20:32 GMT 2005

>If you're asking if there's any way that they can use the same profile
>space, no.  And why would you want to?

OK, so I would have to manually copy stuff from the local profile to the
domain profile. That's not too bad. But...

>If you're going on the assumption that once you disconnect from the network
>you lose any ability to log in as domain\user, I suggest you try it.  Unless
>you use the 'delete the local copy of the profile on logout' method, you'll
>be fine.

Even though I do not have 'delete the local copy...', I cannot logon as
the domain user when disconnected. I get an error because the Samba PDC
is not available, and am returned to the logon screen.

>It should be noted however that this brings up a problem with roaming
>profiles on semi-connected machines.  When you are offline and go about
>changing things, certain (and I can't be more specific really) things will
>be copied from the server and overwrite your offline changes as soon as you
>login on the network and it tries to refresh your profile from the server
>copy.

Isn't this handled correctly with a file date comparison? The most
recent file wins? I understand it can be a problem when connected
simultaneously from different machines, but do these problems also
happen when the user has only one active connection at a time?